Lesson 4: Temple in Tikal: Ancient Architecture
- Understand who the Maya were
- Understand Maya heritage
- Understand the Maya belief system
- Engage in analytical thinking and deductive reasoning
Materials: The Temple in Tikal: Ancient Architecture student activity sheet
Time Required: 30 minutes
- In this activity, students will explore one of the ancient Maya temples of Tikal and how the structure was built.
- Distribute the Temple in Tikal: Ancient Architecture student activity sheet and review the page with students. Students will use their math skills to calculate the number of stone squares that would be needed to re-create the Temple of the Grand Jaguar in Tikal, Guatemala.
- Review the answers with your students.
Answers: Temple in Tikal answer key