Lesson 1: Maya Map
Challenge students to locate ancient Maya cities to begin their exploration of the Maya world.
This lesson complements the Map puzzle in the Mayan Mysteries game. To learn more about the online game, visit www.dig-itgames.com.
- Locate the Maya world on a map
- Identify countries in Central America
- Identify locations of major Maya sites
Materials: The Maya Map student activity sheet; world maps
Time Required: 30 minutesDirections:
- Introduce students to the Maya civilization by having them locate modern-day countries in Central America and the ancient sites of Caracol, Cerén, Copán, and Tikal.
- Distribute the Maya Map student activity sheet and review the instructions with students. Have students work independently or with partners to locate and label the following:
- Bodies of water: Caribbean Sea, North Pacific Ocean
- Modern-day countries: Belize, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras
- Ancient Maya sites: Caracol (Belize), Cerén (El Salvador), Copán (Honduras), and Tikal (Guatemala)
- As a follow-up activity, have students work in teams to research and present 10 facts about each ancient Maya site. Students can discover facts about these sites in the Mayan Mysteries game.
Answers: Maya Map answer key