Lesson 1: Maya Map
- Locate the Maya world on a map
- Identify countries in Central America
- Identify locations of major Maya sites
Materials: The Maya Map student activity sheet; world maps
Time Required: 30 minutesDirections:
- Introduce students to the Maya civilization by having them locate modern-day countries in Central America and the ancient sites of Caracol, Cerén, Copán, and Tikal.
- Distribute the Maya Map student activity sheet and review the instructions with students. Have students work independently or with partners to locate and label the following:
- Bodies of water: Caribbean Sea, North Pacific Ocean
- Modern-day countries: Belize, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras
- Ancient Maya sites: Caracol (Belize), Cerén (El Salvador), Copán (Honduras), and Tikal (Guatemala)
- As a follow-up activity, have students work in teams to research and present 10 facts about each ancient Maya site.
Answers: Maya Map answer key