Scissors, ruler, recycled or colored paper, vase or jar (this could also work with a pencil holder!)
Time It Takes to Complete This Activity
Approximately 30 minutes
1) Begin with your background paper. This can be printer paper or a nicer card stock—whatever you have! For the vase cover, cut the page in half to create a bit of a smaller background to work on.
2) Using a ruler and a pencil, make lines one inch apart down your page; be sure to leave room at the top and bottom of the page.
3) Use scissors to carefully cut along the lines. Again, be sure not to cut through the page by leaving an inch or two at the top and bottom.
4) Cut approximately 10–15 strips of paper ½ inch x 12 inches out of recycled or colored paper.
5) Begin weaving the strips of paper into the slits of your background paper, alternating “over, under, over, under” so that the exposed paper is different each time!
6) Secure your project with a bit of tape on the back, and trim the paper that sticks out over your background paper with a pair of scissors.
7) Tape your final work around a vase or pencil holder!