2012 Archive: Plan for Success
Goal: Discover the power of setting goals and making healthy choices.
Time required: 40 minutes
Materials required: Climb Your Way to Success Student Worksheet A, pen or pencil
1. Ask: Do you think that drinking alcohol could affect your chances for success (now or in the future)? Moderate a conversation about the way alcohol can affect decision making and brain development.
2. Ask: What are your dreams for life? Discuss both long- and short-term dreams, such as hopes for sports, friendships, contests, or schoolwork.
3. Point out that a key to achieving your dreams is to set goals. By methodically setting a goal and working toward it, you can make big things happen. Keeping a positive attitude, a healthy lifestyle, and saying "NO" to underage drinking ensure that you are fit to achieve!
Using the Student Worksheet:
4. Distribute Climb Your Way to Success Student Worksheet A. Have students identify a specific goal in the upcoming year.
5. Have students pair up and share their plans to get extra input. Ask for volunteers to share their plans with the class.
Photo: Brian Clay, © Amanda Burks Photography