5 Things You Didn't Know About Ellie Krieger
Think you know everything about The New York Times bestselling author and host of Food Network’s Healthy Appetite? Think again.
By Megan Hess | November , 2011
|Ellie Krieger photo: Lisa Houlgrave|
2. Krieger’s key strategy for meals on busy workdays? “I need things at my fingertips,” she says. So she keeps her pantry stocked with these essentials:
• Whole grain pasta
• Canned tomatoes
• Canned beans (at least 10 different types, including but not limited to: cannelloni, kidney, and black beans)
• Whole almonds
• Low sodium chicken broth
3. She doesn't believe in guilty pleasures. "Guilt creates negative feelings and drives you to eat even more,” says Krieger, who eats a little dark chocolate each day. “Instead, if you so choose, decide to eat something not so good — and then savor every moment.”
4. Her biggest weakness: French fries.
5. Krieger's 9-year-old daughter blends her smoothies. At age 2, Krieger gave her daughter bread and a butter knife to include her in the cooking process. “Kids like to feel like they’re helping,” she says. “Even if they create a mess, it’s worth that investment.” Now, at age 9, Krieger’s daughter makes her mom banana-mango smoothies after a long day at work.
Follow Ellie on Twitter at @Ellie_Krieger, and watch her funniest kitchen memory with her daughter