Deadline: March 7, 2012
Sponsor: Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. To enter the WordGirl’s Power-Packed Sharing Challenge (the “Contest”), visit www.scholastic.com/wordgirlsharingchallenge and submit a completed online entry form, or mail the completed entry form to: WordGirl’s Power-Packed Sharing Challenge, c/o Scholastic Inc., P.O. Box 713, New York, NY 10013-0713. In this contest, parents/legal guardians with students in grades 3–5 will submit ONE sentence for each of these words—share, need, impact, time, talents, and treasures—to reflect their family’s commitment to living generously. Contest begins October 17, 2011, 12:00 a.m. EDT and ends March 7, 2012, 11:59 EDT. All online entries must be received by 11:59 PM EST on March 7, 2012. All mail entries must be postmarked by March 7, 2012, and received by March 14, 2012. One parent/guardian entry per eligible student, regardless of method of entry. In the event of a dispute over the identity of an online entrant, entry will be deemed submitted by the holder of the email account.
2. ELIGIBILITY. Open to parents/legal guardians who are 18 or older, with a student enrolled during the contest period in grades 3, 4, or 5 at a public, accredited private, or home school in compliance with the regulations of the entrant’s state, and who are current legal residents of one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. Employees and members of their families of Scholastic Inc. ("Sponsor") or Thrivent Financial ("Thrivent"), their parent organizations, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and their advertising, promotion and production agencies are not eligible to enter. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
3. JUDGING. Winning entries will be selected from among all eligible entries received by a panel of qualified independent judges employed by Sponsor. Final 10 winners will be judged by both Sponsor and Thrivent. Eligible entries will be evaluated according to the one sentence submitted for each of these words: share, need, impact, time, talents, and treasures. Each sentence will be evaluated for clarity, feasibility, creativity, and impact—as they all apply to the concept of "living generously." The decisions of the judges are final and binding. Sponsor reserves the right to not award all prizes if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of qualified and eligible entries.
4. WINNERS. Ten (10) winning schools (total) (the "Winning Schools"), where the winning eligible parent/legal guardians’ student listed on the winning entry is enrolled, will each receive $500 and a classroom reading library (ARV for library: $100) for the teachers of the students listed on the winning entries, ten (10) total. The eligible parent/legal guardians who submitted the winning entries will also receive a WordGirl Prize Pack (ARV: $100; to include books, DVDs, and game items) for their student, ten (10) total. Approximate retail value for all prizes: $7,000.
Each Winning School and the eligible parent/legal guardian who submitted the winning entry will be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within ten (10) business days of notification attempt or an alternate winner may be selected. Both the Winning School and the eligible parent/legal guardian must submit and return the affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release in order for the prizes to be awarded. Taxes on school prizes are the sole responsibility of the Winning Schools. Taxes on the WordGirl prize package (if any) are the sole responsibility of the parent/legal guardian winner.
5. GENERAL. All entries will become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned. By entering, entrants agree to abide by these rules and warrant and represent that their entry information is accurate. By accepting a prize, the Winning Schools and the eligible parents/legal guardians who submitted the winning entries grant to Sponsor and Thrivent the right to use their names, addresses, likenesses, and live and taped performances of interview(s) with the Winning Schools’ representatives, for any lawful purpose, including, but not limited to, on the Scholastic.com web site or on any or all marketing collateral affiliated with and/or produced by Thrivent without further permission or compensation, except where prohibited by law. By entering and/or accepting a prize, entrants and the Winning Schools agree to release Sponsor, Thrivent, and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising, promotion or production agencies, and prize suppliers and all others associated with the development and execution of this Contest, and the respective officers, directors, shareholders, agents, and employees of the foregoing, involved in the Contest (collectively, the "Released Parties") from any and all liability, claims or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages or losses to persons and property of any nature that in any way arise from participation in this Contest or acceptance or use of the prizes. Subject to all applicable laws.
The Released Parties are not responsible for technical, hardware, software or telecommunications malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest which may limit the ability to participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Contest. If for any reason (including, but not limited to, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the control of the Sponsor, which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest) the Contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, the Sponsor shall have the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest.
7. WINNERS LIST. The names of the Winning Schools and eligible parents/legal guardians will be available after on or about May 9, 2012. You may request these names by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope by July 9, 2012, to: Winners List, WordGirl’s Power-Packed Sharing Challenge, c/o Scholastic Inc., P.O. Box 713, NY, NY 10013-0713.