April 4-18, 2011
Science World is now offering comprehensive online resources for “How to Cool Earth" on p. 14.
- Start your lesson by showing this ANCHOR VIDEO, which will introduce your students to climate change.
Next, read the article, How to Cool Earth, p. 14, that highlights six wild ways to combat climate change. Your entire class can view a DIGITAL VERSION of the article using your interactive whiteboard and computer projector.
After reading the story, have students complete the CHECK FOR UNDERSTANDING skills sheet. This can be done as a class or individually to test students’ reading comprehension.
Download this issue's Teacher's Edition here. (Answer keys have been removed.)
ONLINE-ONLY SKILLS PAGES
- Killer Storms
- Rethinking Fireworks
- How to Cool Earth
- Intruder Alert!
- Plight of the Panda
- Trapped in Time
- Save Energy, Save Earth
- Self-Scoring Science News Quiz
BONUS ONLINE REPRODUCIBLE!
- After reading “Plight of the Panda” (p.20), have your class complete this critical-thinking skills sheet, which challenges students to design their own preserve for giant pandas.
- 3, 2, 1, Liftoff!: Watch the rocket launch here.
- VIDEO EXTRA: Watch a video of the VORTEX2 team on the hunt for a tornado.
- Check out this page about tornadoes on FEMA’s Web site for kids.
- VIDEO EXTRA: Watch a video about the chemistry of fireworks.
- Check out this interactive fireworks display that shows the harmful elements in fireworks.
- VIDEO EXTRA: Watch a video about climate change.
- Visit the EPA’s Climate Change for Kids site for information, games, animations, and calculators.
- VIDEO EXTRA: Watch a video about the Asian carp invasion.
- Check out the official Web site of the Asian Carp Regional Coordinating Committee.
- VIDEO EXTRA: Watch a video of Jack Black talking about panda conservation.
- See what’s happening at the San Diego Zoo’s panda exhibit.
- WEB EXTRA: Learn about amber and the clues it provides about ancient ecosystems at the American Museum of Natural History’s Web site.
- VIDEO EXTRA: Watch a video on how to create an ENERGY STAR home.
- Visit t