February 21, 2011
DIGITAL PACKAGE FOR:
"Scales for Scales" pp. 12-13
- Projectable PDF of this article
- Differentiated-instruction activities: BASIC or ADVANCED
- Hear a listen-and-read podcast
EVEN MORE RESOURCES FOR THIS ISSUE:
- PRINTABLE: This issue's skills review quiz
- NEW! NUMBERS IN THE NEWS!
Click for this week's story!
- STUDENT POLL: How Do You React to Bullies?
- TEACHER'S EDITION: Download it here.
- CALCULIT: Math book list
related to the articles and skills in the February 21, 2011 issue of Scholastic MATH Magazine.
For each, we indicate if it is intended for students, teachers, or both.
- "FAST MATH," PP. 2-3
STUDENTS: Follow Jeremy Lin's progress on the Reno Bighorns (of the NBA development league)
. . . and with the Golden State Warriors.
- "KNOW YOUR TEXT BEHAVIOR," PP. 4-5
TEACHERS: For more texting math, here's a bar graph activity for your students from Scholastic ACTION magazine.
- "BLACK HISTORY MATH!," PP. 6-7
STUDENTS AND TEACHERS: A modern history of blacks in mathematics, from the math department of the State University of New York at Buffalo.
TEACHERS: If you are planning a Black History Month lesson, there are many resources on these two pages.
- "BULLIED TO THE BRINK," PP. 8-9
STUDENTS: Learn more about bullying and what you can do to stop it.
TEACHERS: Find out more about the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program mentioned in the article.
TEACHERS: More anti-bullying resources.
- "PUZZLE MAN," PP. 10-11
STUDENTS AND TEACHERS: Can't get enough KenKen? We have new puzzles every day.
STUDENTS AND TEACHERS: Find out how you can sign up for the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament, which has an under-25 competition.
- "SCALES FOR SCALES," PP. 12-13
STUDENTS AND TEACHERS: Look up the results for the 2011 Bassmaster Classic.
- "BEGONE, POLYGONS!" PP. 14-15
TEACHERS: A sum of interior angles activity to share with your class.