December 6, 2010
DIFFERENTIATED TEEN SPOTLIGHT ARTICLES
Find interactive, printable versions of this issue’s article, "Teen vs. Fire," along with Listen & Read audio podcasts, quizzes, and whiteboard-ready printable skills sheets—all at three differentiated Lexile® versions! Click a Lexile® level below to find the right resources for your students.
|500 LEXILE®||680 LEXILE®||900 LEXILE®|
VIDEOS AND LINKS FOR THIS ISSUE!
- "Spider Teen," p. 2: Watch Hibiki Kono climb walls using his invention.
- "Gulliver's Travels," p. 6: Watch a preview of the new moving starring Jack Black.
- "Teen vs. Fire," p. 12: See more photos of heroic Amanda Hoeldt, 15, and the other firefighting teens in her town.
- "Have a Sweet Holiday!" p. 22: Icing recipes and decorating tips to make your holiday cookies sparkle!
SKILLS SHEETS AND QUIZZES
Online-Only Skills Sheets:
(For the web site address that lists answers to these skills sheets, look at the answer key in your printed Teachers Edition.)
- Describing Winter
SKILL: Adjective and Adverbs
BASED ON: "Describe It," p. 11
- Fact Finding
SKILL: Fact vs. Opinion
BASED ON: "Just Hit 'Snooze,'" p. 20
- All About “Gulliver’s Travels”
SKILL: Reading-Comprehension Test Prep
BASED ON: "Gulliver's Travels," p. 6
- Match the Meaning
SKILL: Vocabulary Review/Context Clues
BASED ON: "Teen vs. Fire," p. 12, and "Mark Sanchez," p. 24
- Teen Lifesavers
SKILL: Supporting an Opinion
BASED ON: "Teen vs. Fire," p. 12
From the Teacher's Edition:
- Make a New Meaning
BASED ON: “Celebrity Scoop: Rihanna,” p. 4
- The Big Idea
SKILL: Main Idea and Details
BASED ON: “Titanic,” p. 16
- Timeline of Your Life
SKILL: Creating a Timeline
BASED ON: “Timeline of a Tragedy,” p. 19
Download this issue's Teacher's Edition here. (Answers have been removed.)