Want to keep your hair healthy and shiny? Eat these foods!
- Salmon: This fish contains omega-3 fatty acids that help keep the scalp healthy. It also has vitamin B-12 and iron.
- Dark-green vegetables: Examples of these types of vegetables are spinach, broccoli, and Swiss chard. All are excellent sources of vitamins A and C, which your body needs to produce sebum. Sebum is an oily substance, secreted by your hair follicles that naturally conditions your hair.
- Beans: Legumes like kidney beans and lentils provide protein to promote hair growth. These beans are also good sources of iron, zinc, and biotin.
- Nuts: Walnuts have alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid that is good for the scalp. Walnuts are also a good source of zinc, as are cashews, pecans, and almonds.
- Poultry: The protein in chicken and turkey helps keep hair from becoming brittle.
- Eggs: Eggs contain a lot of protein. They are also great sources of biotin and vitamin B-12, which are important beauty nutrients.
- Whole grains: Examples include whole-wheat bread and whole-grain cereals. Whole grains contain lots of zinc, iron, and B vitamins.
- Oysters: Oysters are a terrific source of zinc.
- Low-fat dairy products: Products such as yogurt and skim milk are great sources of calcium, an important mineral for hair growth. They also contain whey and casein, two high-quality sources of protein.
- Carrots: Carrots contain a lot of vitamin A, which contributes to a healthy scalp.