March 22, 2010
NEW! Digital Editions
Starting this week, your issues of Scholastic News are also available online, ready to use with a projector or whiteboard. Click here to view this week's digital edition.
Printables for This Issue
- WORDS IN THE NEWS: This week's bonus online-only printable!
- WHAT'S THE BIG IDEA? Print this 5-question critical-thinking quiz based on articles in this issue.
- BE A QUIZ WHIZ! Download this 10-question comprehension quiz found only online, or play an interactive online quiz with your students.
This Issue's Online Resources
- WHEN THE GROUND SHAKES
Explore all things weather-related, including earthquakes.
VIDEO: Watch a video about Washington State's tsunami warning system, one of the most sophisticated in the world.
VIDEO: Watch a video about how engineers design earthquake-resistant buildings.
STAYING SAFE: Learn earthquake-safety tips.
- PRETTY PREDATORS: LIONFISH
VIDEO: Watch this video explaining the lionfish invasion.
READ MORE about invader species at this Grolier interactive site.
- DEATH BY INSECT: WHAT KILLED KING TUT?
LESSON PLAN: Malaria: The Cause, a classroom game
SLIDESHOW: See this slideshow about a visit to a recent King Tut exhibit.
BACK STORY: Get the back story on the Boy King at this Grolier site.
Download this issue's Teacher's Edition. (Answers have been removed.)
Reproducibles from the Teacher's Edition
SKILL: Grammar Skill