February 1, 2010
NEW! Science World PowerPoints
This year, Science World is introducing PowerPoint presentations to go along with select feature articles. They are perfect for use on SMART Boards, as well as on your school computer, or as handouts. Click here for more information, and previous PowerPoints.
- Download this issue's PowerPoint about simple machines and Rube Goldberg
(use with "One Zany Machine," p. 20)
BONUS! This Issue's Online-Only Printable:
SKILL: Reading Comprehension
BASED ON: Science News
Download this issue's Teacher's Edition here. Answer keys have been removed.
Reproducibles from the Teacher's Edition
- Science News (Reading Comprehension)
- Check for Understanding (Reading Comprehension)
- Disease Prevention (Chart-Reading Skills)
- Map the Territories (Mapping Skills)
This issue's Web Extras:
- To learn more about the yearly lifecycle of bears, visit:
- Watch an animation of how the tsunami that struck American Samoa spread across the Pacific Ocean at:
- To learn more about cormorants, visit this site from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology:
- Learn more about the New England Aquarium’s Marine Animal Rescue Program at:
- For more on Rube Goldberg and the contest that bears his name, visit:
Article-specific web links from this issue's Teacher's Edition:
"Learning from Bears"
- The North American Bear Center is a nonprofit institution that strives to teach people about bears. Visit their Web site to learn more about bears and view their videos and live Webcams at:
- Want to know what a bear’s life is like? Check out Matthias Breiter’s book Bears: A Year in the Life, Firefly Books, 2009.
"Wave of Destruction"
- Test your tsunami knowledge by visiting the "Student Corner" of the Pacific Tsunami Museum in Hilo, Hawaii’s Web site:
- The International Tsunami Information Centre’s Web site provides extensive tsunami information in several languages:
- Check out the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution’s interactive Web site for a comprehensive look at tsunamis:
- Mundo Azul is a Peruvian conservation organization that is sponsoring a campaign to save the guano birds. Find out more about their efforts to protect the birds at:
- Read this New York Times article about how Peru is guarding its guano as demand for it soars:
- Have your class travel through the nitrogen cycle using this game from UCAR’s Windows to the World Web site:
- Learn more about El Niño and La Niña at NOAA’s El Niño Web page:
"One Zany Device"
- Download Science World’s PowerPoint about Rube Goldberg Machines at:
- Play this interactive game that teaches you about simple machines in and around your house at:
- Read the transcript of an interview with Rube Goldberg that was conducted before an exhibit of his cartoons opened at the Smithsonian Institution in 1970:
- Play this interactive game to create a hamburger-delivering Rube Goldberg device: