Scope Links February 8, 2010
Here are some recommended links to help you form pre-reading and extension activities for each article in this issue.
Your World, pp. 3-5
- "A Close-Knit Poem"
The Poetry Society's home page includes photos, fun facts, and more about the project, www.poetrysociety.org.uk
- "Hitchhiking to the Moon"
NASA's Twitter page, http://twitter.com/LCROSS_NASA
- "Let the Winter Games Begin"
Official site of the 2010 Winter Olympics, www.vancouver2010.com
- "Towering Titles"
Kansas City Library, www.kclibrary.org/home
Readers Theater Play: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, p. 6
- Twain museum in Hannibal, Missouri, www.marktwainmuseum.org
- The Mark Twain House and Museum in Hartford, Connecticut, includes educational materials for teachers, www.marktwainhouse.org/teacher
- Campaign for the Year of Twain, www.twain2010.org
Nonfiction: "The Year of Twain," p. 13
- The site contains a page of videos on Mark Twain, including archival imagery and a series of interviews with Mark Twain (portrayed by an actor). The site also has biographical information, a collection of Twain's essays, novels, speeches, and stories, and a map of historical sites in Hannibal, Missouri, www.marktwainhannibal.com
Nonfiction: "Stomp Out Bullying," p. 14
- Teens Against Bullying, http://www.pacerteensagainstbullying.org/
- Stomp Out Bullying!, http://www.stompoutbullying.org/
- Stop Bullying Now, http://stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/kids/
Write Now: "Dancing With the Words," p. 16
- The Groovaloos' official site includes background info, video interviews with cast members, and more, www.groovaloos.com