Meet Winter the Dolphin Contest
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. To enter print clearly or type on 8 1/2 X 11 paper in 200 words or less who your favorite animal hero is and why. All entries must include your name, address, age, gender, telephone number, name of the school you attend and the parental consent statement set forth below (with parent/legal guardian signature); entries must be mailed to Meet Winter the Dolphin Contest, Scholastic Inc. 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012. ALL ENTRIES MUST INCLUDE THE PARENTAL CONSENT STATEMENT AND BE SIGNED BY THE ENTRANT’S PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN OR THE ENTRY WILL BE REJECTED. One entry per person. All entries must be received by 5p.m. EST on November 30, 2009. Partially completed entries or mechanically reproduced entries will not be accepted. Scholastic Inc. (“Sponsor”) assumes no responsibility for lost, misdirected, damaged, stolen, postage-due, illegible, or late entries or mail. All entries (and rights in the winning entries) become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
2. Contest open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia between the ages of 6-14 as of November 30, 2009. Employees of Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, and their respective advertising, promotion, and fulfillment agencies, and the immediate families of each, are not eligible to enter or win. Entrants and their parent/legal guardian must be available to travel between March 1 and April 30, 2010 in order to receive the benefit of the grand prize. WINNER AND THEIR PARENT/GUARDIAN MUST HAVE APPROPRIATE TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION, AND MUST BE AVAILABLE TO TRAVEL ON THE DATES SPECIFIED, OR PRIZE WILL BE FORFEITED AND AWARDED TO AN ALTERNATE. Subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws. Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
3. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify any entries that are inappropriate for any reason, including without limitation, for depicting or mentioning sex, violence, drugs, alcohol and/or inappropriate language. Judging will be completed on or about December 2, 2009 by Sponsor, whose decisions on all matters relating to this Contest are final and binding.
4. Grand Prize: One grand prize winner and one parent/legal guardian will be flown to and from Clearwater, Florida between March 1-April 30, 2010. Sponsor agrees to pay for coach class airfare for winner and winner’s parent/legal guardian between the major United States gateway airport closest to winner's residence and Clearwater, one night standard double occupancy hotel lodging, $500 food allowance and ground transportation while in Florida to and from the airport and to and from the event. If Grand Prize winner lives within a 100-mile radius of Clearwater, Florida, round-trip ground transportation selected by Scholastic, Inc. may be substituted for round-trip airfare. Winner will meet Winter the Dolphin at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. Approximate retail value of prize: $2,500.00. Prize value may vary depending upon departure date and time of travel. All travel is subject to availability. Sponsor is not liable for any expenses incurred as a consequence of a flight cancellation or flight delay. Schedules are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions and blackout dates may apply. The winner is responsible for payment of all federal, state or other tax liabilities (including income taxes) on any prize received. Since winner is a minor, prize will be awarded in the name of minor's parent or legal guardian. All items and charges not otherwise described above, including but not limited to hotel room service, laundry service, beverages, merchandise, souvenirs, etc., local and long distance telephone calls, tips, gratuities, service charges and taxes, are the winner’s sole responsibility. Runner Ups: 10 runner ups will receive a Winter prize package which includes a copy of Winter’s Tail, a Winter’s Tail Nintendo DS game, and a Winter plush doll. Approximate retail value: $75.00
5. Winner and their accompanying parent/legal guardian will be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility/release of liability within five (5) days of notification. Sponsor and its agencies shall not be liable for unsuccessful efforts to notify a winner. If a potential winner and their parent/legal guardian do not sign and return the affidavit of eligibility/release of liability within five (5) days from notification, or if the winner does not meet qualification criteria, Sponsor reserves the right to select an alternate winner. After Sponsor’s reasonable attempt to award the prizes, any unclaimed prizes will not be awarded.
6. Prize is non-transferable, not returnable, and cannot be sold or redeemed for cash. No prize substitution except by Sponsor in case of unavailability, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. By accepting the prize, winner agrees that Sponsor, its officers, directors, agents, and employees will have no liability or responsibility for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind, including but not limited to death, injuries, damages or losses to persons and property which may be sustained in connection with this Contest, the receipt, ownership or use of the prize or while preparing for, participating in, and/or traveling to any prize-related activity, or accepting, possessing, using or misusing any prize, and they will be held harmless against any claims of liability arising directly or indirectly from the prizes awarded. Sponsor is not responsible if any prize cannot be awarded or enjoyed due to travel cancellations, delays or interruption due to weather, natural disaster, acts of war or terrorism or similar causes. By entering, participants warrant that their essays are their original work, entrant is the sole and exclusive owner of the essay, and that Sponsor’s use of any essays submitted will not violate any rights of any other person or entity, including, without limitation, any copyright rights. Participants further agree to indemnify and hold Sponsor harmless from any claims arising from Sponsor’s use of participants’ submissions.
7. ENTRY IS VALID WITH PARENT’S/LEGAL GUARDIAN’S SIGNATURE ONLY. ENTRIES RECEIVED WITHOUT PARENT’S/LEGAL GUARDIAN’S SIGNATURE WILL BE REJECTED.
8. Winner will be notified by Sponsor via phone or mail on or about December 14, 2009. Except where prohibited, acceptance of a prize shall constitute and signify a winner's consent to the use of his/her name, address (city and state only), likeness, age, voice and/or photograph for any lawful purpose in any media, including online, in perpetuity without further notice or compensation. Winner may also be asked to attend and participate in media and/or public relations events (the “Media Events”) designated by Sponsor and/or requested by various media outlets. Upon Sponsor’s request, and subject to winner’s availability, winner agrees to participate in such Media Events without any further compensation. By accepting the prize, winner, whether or not chosen to participate in such Media Events, agrees to release Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries, distributors and agencies, and hold each of them harmless, from any claims relating to their selection, non-selection, participation or non-participation in any Media Events. Any person attempting to defraud or in any way tamper with this Contest will be ineligible for a prize.
9. WINNERS LIST. The name of the Contest winners will be posted at www.Scholastic.com/winterstail on or about December 20, 2009. To see a complete list of winners, please write to Meet Winter the Dolphin Contest, Scholastic Inc. 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
10. Sponsor: Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
PARENTAL CONSENT: I give permission for my child to participate in the Meet Winter the Dolphin Contest and consent to the foregoing terms and conditions on behalf of myself and my child. I also agree that if my child wins, I consent to the use of his/her name, address (city and state only), likeness, age, voice and/or photograph by Sponsors without further notice and/or compensation.
Parent/Legal Guardian signature: _____________________________________________________________
Print Name: _____________________________________________________________