Scope Links for October 5, 2009
Here are some recommended links to help you form pre-reading and extension activities for each article in this issue.
Your World, p. 3
"Big Bucks for Captain's Book"
- The Federalist Papers at the Library of Congress, with teacher resources
"Classic Meets Comics"
- Jane Austen fan fiction
- Masterpiece Theater, with video clips
- Jane Austen teacher's guide
"Read Beyond Reality"
- Teen Read Week
Readers Theater Play: Amelia, p. 6
- Archival 30-second footage from PBS of Amelia Earhart; this could be nice to show before reading the play with your class!
- Official movie site
- Complete lesson plan from Scholastic, including an interactive timeline and writing activity
Vocabulary: "Scope 100 Wordhunt" on Billy Elliot, p. 13
- Official site of the musical
- Video clips of interviews with the cast about putting the show together
- Vocabulary quiz maker
Interactive: "Back to You," p. 16
- Langston Hughes mini-biography
- Langston Hughes at the Library of Congress, includes photographs, interviews, handwritten drafts of poems, and more