Award-Winning Projects from Past Teams
Want to see what a winning action plan looks like? Here are a few pages from two of our winning teams last year.
ECO SAVERS 2011
This team came to the Lexus Eco Challenge prepared to win! Here's a snapshot of their accomplishments:
- Studied the effects of climate change on weather and storm patterns
- Presented data relating to weather-related disaster preparedness to local school students
- Forged partnerships within the seafood industry as well as with local laboratories to perform testing and conduct research
- Made startling discoveries about levels of heavy metal pollutants in California lobster
- Conducted extensive lobster tissue testing with specimens from bodies of water across the globe
- Produced 30 geographic information systems (GIS) maps for each contaminant the team found in their lobster samples
The team took great strides to elevate the level of awareness of their distinctive, well-researched project's focus in the local community with presentations and media relationships. They reached global audiences as well, when their findings were published in the California Diving newsletter and Public Safety Diver Monthly magazine!
LADIES OF THE LIGHT
This team came to the Lexus Eco Challenge with loads of determination! Here's a snapshot of their accomplishments:
- Campaigned to highlight the amount of energy that their school was using, and called attention specifically to using solar panels instead of traditional light sources
- Demonstrated an informed, in-depth collective knowledge of renewable energy
- Presented and informed the school community about the benefits of using solar energy
- Reached out to church parishioners, local newspapers, and community businesses to raise awareness of the environmental issue
- Raised half of the funds needed to purchase solar panels for their school in the first installment of their project
- Eventually earned more than enough to buy the first solar panel they needed for their campus
The team showcased a considerable commitment to the long-term stability of their project through various partnerships with local businesses and in the development of lesson plans that partner with their goal, but the additional segment of a grant proposal submission is a big step forward. The plans for a scholarship development with this grant marks dedication to the idea of spreading the word to neighboring schools!