What You Can Do
What Families Can Do to Encourage Community Participation
- Spread the word among parents, and throughout your community, that participation in the 2010 Census is a civic obligation of utmost importance to our nation's—and your city's—present and future.
- Ask your principal about your school's plans for 2010 Census: It's About Us program.
- Encourage your principal to distribute the materials in the kit to teachers, and encourage teachers to use them.
- Let your PTO/PTA know about Census in Schools, and encourage other parents to support this free cross-curricular initiative.
- Tell your child's teacher about this Web site and the 2010 Census: It's About Us educational materials.
- Contact your local census regional office to learn more about what you can do in your community.
- Encourage your principal to designate a week in early 2010 as Census in Schools Week.
- Urge teachers and media specialists in your school to take maximum advantage of the 2010 Census: It's About Us online lessons and activities.
Don't let your child's school miss out on the lessons and benefits to be derived from this once-a-decade civic event that is so crucial to your community and our nation.