What You Can Do
What Principals Can Do to Encourage School Participation
- Distribute the wall maps and Quick Start teachings you received in August to 10 teachers.
- More than 10 teachers on staff? Download and print additional maps.
- Discuss the census with teachers at a faculty meeting, and schedule updates throughout the school year.
- Remind teachers to use the materials by putting a notice on faculty bulletin boards or in teacher's mailboxes.
- Help spread the word to parents by writing about the census and the Census in Schools program in your school newsletter.
- Schedule one week between January 1, 2010 and March 21, 2010, as Census in Schools Week.
- Plan a professional development session to give teachers ideas on the many ways to integrate 2010 Census: It's About Us materials into language arts, social studies, mathematics, and other curriculum areas.
- Contact your local census regional office to learn more.
Don't let your school miss out on the lessons and benefits to be derived from this once-a-decade civic event that is so crucial to your community and our nation.