How to Join the Scholastic News Kids Press Corps for the 2013-2014 School Year
The application process for the 2012-2013 Scholastic News Kids Press Corps is now OPEN!
In order to be considered, you must be between the ages of 10-14 (must be 10 years old by November 1, 2013) and complete all of the following:
* a typed news article (maximum 400 words) about your community. The article must include at least two quotes from at least two interviews.
* a typed essay (maximum 250 words) that answers the questions: Why do you want to be a Kid Reporter? What do you hope to learn as a Kid Reporter?
* two ideas for stories about your community that you would like to work on as a Kid Reporter.
* a basic background information form that lets Kids Press Corps editors know more about you and help us select a diverse group of kids from all over the country.
* a Student Release Form (form provided by Scholastic must be completed and signed by your parent/legal guardian).
* a recent photograph of yourself that, if you are selected as a Kid Reporter, will appear on the site when we announce the new Kid Reporters (this can be a color printout or an actual photograph, but we cannot return any submitted photographs).
Download the 2013-2014 Scholastic News Kids Press Corps Application here.
Send your complete entry to:
Scholastic News Kids Press Corps/Apply
New York, NY 10012-3999
All applications MUST be postmarked by September 27, 2013. NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED!
Kid Reporters are chosen by Scholastic News Kids Press Corps editors, and the 2013-2014 Kid Reporter team will be announced in early November. Check out the 2012-2013 team!
Have questions about the application? Ask them on the Scholastic News Kids Press Corps Blog!
Learn more about the Scholastic News Kids Press Corps by checking out some frequently asked questions about the program.
About the Scholastic News Kids Press Corps
Members of the Scholastic News Kids Press Corps cover news stories for scholastic.com/kidspress and select Scholastic classroom magazines. Between 15-20 new press corps members are chosen each school year. The program is open to all students ages 10-14 with a burning desire to be a journalist. The selection of Kid Reporters is based on writing ability, interviewing skills, and attention to detail.