LESSON 3: Essay Organizer
STUDENT PRINTABLE 3: "Essay Organizer"
TIME REQUIRED: One 40-minute class period
LESSON OBJECTIVE: Students will understand important steps in the essay-writing process. Students can submit essays to the Breaking Barriers Essay Contest.
- Distribute copies of Printable 3, "Essay Organizer."
- As a class, review the steps in the Essay Organizer. Walk through each step of the essay–writing process and answer any questions that students may have.
- Create a sample essay on the board using the Essay Organizer. Have students suggest a topic for the essay, create a list of main ideas, develop an outline based on these ideas, and write a few topic sentences that accompany the main ideas.
- Instruct students to use the essay organizer to write an essay about a barrier they have faced, and how they have used one of Jackie Robinson's values to face their barrier. To reinforce concepts of barriers and values, refer back to Lesson 1 "What Are Barriers?", Printable 1 "About My Father," and Lesson 2 and Printable 2 "Values and Barriers."
- Tell students that when they have completed their essays, they can submit their work to the Breaking Barriers Essay Contest. Distribute copies of the contest reproducible or direct students online to www.scholastic.com/breakingbarriers/kids.
Mini-Poster: "Jackie Robinson's Nine Values": Download this printable featuring MLB players and Jackie Robinson's Nine Values.