How to Use Blogs: Grades 68
Blogs are an authentic tool for expressing opinions. In this lesson, students learn what blogs are, how to write blog entries, and how to express their opinions effectively.
- Understand how to write blogs
- Express their opinions in blog entries
- React to other students' blog entries
SET UP AND PREPARE
- Ask students if they have heard of a blog. Explain what a blog is. Or show the Blogs in Plain English video.
- A blog is a Web site that allows groups or individuals to contribute their ideas, comments, or opinions in a journal format. Blog entries are often short and appear in reverse chronological order.
- A blog entry can be created any time and any place from any Internet enabled computer.
SUPPORTING ALL LEARNERS
- Pair struggling writers with more-fluent writers
- Assign a volunteer to help a struggling writer.
- Have the blogs or articles read to students who have difficulty reading.
- Create additional blog topics on your class Web site or free Internet blog site.
- Topics might include poetry, recipes, goals for the year, "When I grow up," persuasive writing, short stories.
EVALUATING THE LESSON
- Was the Blogs in Plain English video effective in explaining what a blog is?
- What technical problems arose?