Have a question about the Lexus Eco Challenge?
Review the questions and answers below. If you have a new question that you would like to see here, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Who can enter the Challenge?
The Challenge is open to students in grades 6-12 who are registered and home-schooled, enrolled in a public or accredited private school, and who are legal residents of the United States or the District of Columbia. Teams can enter if they are part of an after-school science or environmental club, but the Challenge is not open to clubs outside of the school. Please see the official rules for complete details.
2. Where can I find a description of the prizes?
The breakdown of the prizes and prize money is outlined here.
3. Do teams have to enter both the Land & Water and Air & Climate Challenges to compete in the Final Challenge?
No. Judges will choose the top middle school and high school entries from each of the Challenges and invite those teams to participate in a special Final Challenge.
4. Do students have to be part of a team to enter?
Yes, only teams can enter. A team is made up of five to ten students led by one or two Teacher Advisor(s).
5. Who can be a Teacher Advisor?
A Teacher Advisor must be a full-time teacher employed at the school (not a volunteer parent or other adult in the school).
6. Can I advise more than one team?
Yes, you can advise as many teams as you like, but no student can participate in more than one team within each Challenge.
7. What if a student withdraws? What if I need to change my team?
Do not reregister your team. Email the Lexus Eco Challenge at email@example.com for information on how to proceed.
8. Can my students enter if they have family members who work for Toyota or Scholastic?
No. Per the official rules, employees of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. Inc. ("Sponsor"), Scholastic Inc., their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, dealers and dealer personnel, advertising and promotion agencies, and their immediate families (spouse, parent, child, sibling, and their respective spouses and those living in the same household of each employee, whether or not related), and all others associated with the development and execution of this Contest and their immediate families (spouse, parent, child, sibling, and their respective spouses and those living in the same household of each employee, whether or not related) (collectively referred to as "Sponsor's Related Entities") are not eligible to participate in the Contest.
9. Do students have to choose one of the provided topics?
Yes, Action Plans must be based on one of the provided topics.
10. Where can I find the official rules?
See the complete official rules here.
11. What is the maximum size requirement for my Action Plan PowerPoint?
Your 15-slide Action Plan PowerPoint’s maximum size requirement is no larger than 10 MB. This requirement includes all of the items you’ll add to this PPT. It must remain under the size limit. See PPT requirement guidelines.
12. Do I have to follow the dates on the Challenge Planner?
The dates on the Challenge Planner are there as a guideline. Other than the submission date, you can plan your time however works best for you.