The Air Factor/Global Warming, Local Solutions
Use this lesson as an introduction to Challenge 3: Air/Climate in the Lexus Eco Challenge
Directions: Provide a response to each of the following questions. Organize your answers in the same order as the questions listed below in a Microsoft Word document. Have the team's teacher advisor submit the action plan online at www.scholastic.com/lexus.
PART 1: WHAT'S THE ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUE?
- Describe the environmental topic your team will address.
- What local community issue within this topic did your team select?
- Why is this issue important to your team?
Worksheet: Choosing the Right Topic (PDF)
PART 2: WHAT'S YOUR PLAN?
- Describe your team's goals for this project.
- Describe the step-by-step actions you plan to take to meet each of the goals outlined above.
- List the specific responsibilities of each team member toward achieving these goals?
- How will you measure success?
- How will you quantify impact? (e.g., by tallying how many gallons of water were saved, by tracking how many cans were recycled.)
Worksheet: Planning and Teamwork (PDF)
PART 3: YOUR PLAN IN ACTION: HOW DID YOU IMPLEMENT YOUR IDEAS?
- Describe how your team put its plan into action. What did you do?
- Did you organize a school event to raise awareness of the issue?
- Was the community involved? If yes, how?
- How did you get the word out? Did you use the materials provided to create and distribute press releases, develop a website or blog, etc.?
Worksheet: Creating an Action Plan (PDF)
PART 4: EVALUATE YOUR PLAN: WHAT ARE THE RESULTS?
- In what ways was your plan successful?
- What challenges did you face and how could your plan have been improved?
- What positive outcomes were achieved from your implementing this plan? (e.g., raised awareness in your community, your team's actions paved the way for others to bring about future changes.)
- What quantifiable impact did you have?
- What did you learn from this experience?