It's Getting Easy to Be Green
© Veer Photography/Veer.
A recent white paper from the National Association of Independent Schools details how schools can reduce their carbon footprint. Here are the top ten tips.
1. Adopt an environmental mission statement for your school.
2. Buy food from local farmers and vendors.
3. Install solar panels on your campus.
4. Make people aware of your school’s energy
use by posting monthly usage data for public viewing (or make a real-time display).
5. Create an environmental stewardship committee on the board of trustees.
6. Start a school garden with students and serve food from it at school meals or functions.
7. Turn off all unnecessary electrical appliances over vacations and weekends.
8. Join an energy competition among independent schools.
9. Invite the local community to hear outside speakers present on environmental and sustainability topics.
10. Invest in a recycling program involving the entire school community.