A Halloween tale for pre- and early readers.
Mud Monsters by Michael Rex
What you need:
• Mud Monsters, by Michael Rex (optional)
• crayons and/or markers
1. In this book, early readers will find one word on each page that summarizes what is happening on the page (e.g., hat, dark, moon).
2. As you go through the book, read the word on each page together. Then summarize or describe what is happening on the page.
To extend the reading: 1. Make your own Halloween word-by-word book. First, decide on a story together.
2. Invite your child to draw three or four pictures to show the story. For instance, one picture might show him leaving the house, and the next might show him meeting friends, and then going to a Halloween party.
3. Choose one word to go with each picture. Help your child write the word underneath each picture.
• develops early reading skills
• helps make the connection between the printed and spoken word
• increases sight-word vocabulary