Read and Rise is a sustainable and systematic literacy engagement program designed to bring families, schools, and communities together to support children’s literacy development, while celebrating the positive impact of family culture and tradition. Scholastic created the comprehensive Read and Rise program as part of our dedication to all families and schools to help them build the capacity they need to instill a culture of reading and learning in their children. Through Read and Rise, Scholastic is committed to ensuring that all children have the opportunity to meet and exceed the educational challenges of the 21st Century. This unique, multi-dimensional program includes:
- Research-based curricula built on best educational practices
- Family workshops to engage families in how best to support literacy development at home
- Take-home libraries for every student
- Partnerships and resources to help build a text-rich home environment
- English and Spanish editions
As our world becomes more complex, family involvement is increasingly more critical to a child’s literacy success. Today, 35% of American children begin kindergarten without the basic language skills they will need to learn to read. By focusing on the inherent strengths of families and communities, Read and Rise offers a flexible, multi-tiered approach to family and community engagement that is anchored in building text-rich environments at home for all children.
- Read and Rise Take-Home Resources: Designed to engage individual families in their homes, the Read and Rise program offers a proactive strategy to reach families directly. Individual take-home books and supportive resources help parents break through any language and literacy barriers in their efforts to support their children’s literacy development.
- Read and Rise Professional Development: An inspiring series of in-depth and engaging training sessions for facilitators conducted by Family Literacy Specialists from Scholastic. Participants are introduced to the Read and Rise program and trained on how to best use its simple and effective curriculum and take-home resources.
- Read and Rise Comprehensive Family & Community Engagement Solution: The comprehensive program provides take-home resources for all families, professional development training led by a Scholastic Literacy Specialist and all the resources and tools necessary to effectively implement the complete Read and Rise program. Customizable to meet your needs and the number of families being served, this sustainable program helps expand and strengthen a school district’s capacity to reach more families within their school and in the community.
A number of federal funding programs are available for Read and Rise including:
- Title 1
- Title 3
- 21st Century Community Learning Centers
- Early Head Start and Head Start
- School Improvement Grants